Monday, February 20, 2012

School Days ( this weekend )

For those of you who do not know I have started attended Graduate School at Medaille.  It is the accelerated MA program in Mental Health Counseling.  It meets one full weekend a month for 2.5 years



I LOVE IT !!!

Its fun, challenging, thought provoking and it has opened my eyes to many things that an LMHC can do in the community. 

Some Myths about LMHC's :

1.  Were "lower" than LCSW-R's
( actually we have more clinical hours and training then them )

2. We are not " billable" or Reimbursable without that "R" number
( False - we can be billed through an agency once we graduate and once we take our Licensure exam we can open a private practice )

3. That all types of counseling involves a couch/chair/counselor
( not true..... life skills, Higher Ed, Equestrian --- lots of places to go here )

Anywho, I love it, and I am very much looking forward to the rest of my program
Abnormal Psych is next/now and I love it.  Its easy to read and interesting.

My classmates for the most part are awesome too. 
There are a few that grate on my nerves, the ones who think they know it all, the ones who try to talk over the teacher, the ones who offend (me) without even knowing it.  But with 18 people its bound to happen right ? And when crammed into close quarters like that too.......
I take a deep breath and keep on trucking !

On a side note...... Adoption Consult is tomorrow to start the process !
WAY EXCITED about that !!

No comments:

Post a Comment